Wisconsin ATVS/UTVs require license plates

Added on May 24th, 2012 (Events)

Four-wheelers, ATVs, UTVs – whatever you call them – as of July 1st, are required to have license plates affixed to their back sides.

Where do you get the plates? – Ha! Glad you asked. You have to make them.

No. I’m not kidding.

You can also purchase them from one of the convenient vendors who were happy to step up to the plate (pun intended) and “help” you get in compliance with the new law.

See http://www.watva.org/index.php/wisconsin-atv/atv-utv-license-plates to get the list of specs. You can purchase mailbox letters which meet these dimensions.

To me, it’s a bit of a concern to find out a fine organization like WATVA (Wisconsin ATV Association) supported this. I understand the logic behind back license plates. My concern is that no other outdoor enthusiast type of group (horseback riders, hunters, fisherman, bicyclists, boaters, etc) has to both pay for their licensing and then make or purchase their own license plates from a 3rd party vendor. As an ATV user who only casually takes to the trails (our machines are our “farm tractors”), it’s a bit distasteful to find out you belong to a user group that appears so insubstantial/substandard to lawmakers that they think it’s okay to single us out and do this to.